Jan 13th, 2024, 10:01 pm
I found this out the hard way. My governor is greedy, and as of Jan.1 we have to pay state sales tax on any ebooks or emusic purchased. In the past we escaped that tax since no physical item was sent. Apprently the Senate closed that loophole and I had no idea until I ordered a book from Amazon today and got hit with it.

I want to share the news so other people aren't caught off guard. If a book is $0.99 it's no biggie, but on the more expensive titles this adds up fast. :thumbdown:
Jan 13th, 2024, 10:01 pm
Jan 18th, 2024, 5:43 am
Would using a VPN and then "living" in another state to order ebooks help?
Jan 18th, 2024, 5:43 am
Jan 20th, 2024, 3:39 am
Scunzero wrote:Would using a VPN and then "living" in another state to order ebooks help?

I honestly don't know. My first plan was to get less expensive books legally, and everything else here. I've been using ereaderIQ to get notifications of sales, and it's been very helpful in the past. I've picked up books for $2 or $3 instead of the $13 or $15 list price.

The downside is not all authors run sales, and one of them is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig favorite of mine. Another one likes to write 85 page novellas and then charge full-length novel prices for them., and only her first two books ever go on sale.
Jan 20th, 2024, 3:39 am
Jan 29th, 2024, 12:58 am
I'm in Canada eh and I just checked a receipt for a title I bought a month ago in Kobo - almost 15% tax (10% Quebec tax and 5% Federal tax).
Long ago the governments here decided everything except basic food should be taxed.
So that's what happened.

I once bought a "novella" from an author in USA for $3.99 I think - start to finish including a blank cover, credits, and a back page the ebook was a stunning 17 pages.
Now when I buy novellas or short stories I check how many pages it has.
$3.99 made me feel majorly ripped off.

Dendra, you realize many many authors can be obtained ... like in here ? If you don't request, you'll never know.

edit - I went hunting and came up with 9 titles which I'm guessing are the ones you already have.
Jan 29th, 2024, 12:58 am

warez is waived (except when I indicate otherwise)

if you provide an amz link, pls use amz usa (not ca, uk, jp, br etc), thanks

----> please don't contact me via pm to find you titles
Jan 30th, 2024, 7:41 pm
umop wrote:Dendra, you realize many many authors can be obtained ... like in here ? If you don't request, you'll never know.

edit - I went hunting and came up with 9 titles which I'm guessing are the ones you already have.

If you're talking about music of the shapeshifters novellas, of which there are currently 9, that's who I mean. I got some legally and the rest from here or Z-Library. They used to run sales early on, but it's been over a year since I've seen any of their other writings at a discount. It's really disappointing. :thumbdown:
Jan 30th, 2024, 7:41 pm
Mar 19th, 2024, 12:07 am
Dendra wrote:I found this out the hard way. My governor is greedy, and as of Jan.1 we have to pay state sales tax on any ebooks or emusic purchased. In the past we escaped that tax since no physical item was sent. Apprently the Senate closed that loophole and I had no idea until I ordered a book from Amazon today and got hit with it.:

My understanding used to be that any online/mail order purchase made from a company that had a physical presence in your state required you to pay state sales tax. So if Amazon opened a grocery store in your state, there you go. I know most major companies after a lot of push-back, gave up and just started charging it regardless. Surprised it took Amazon so long to ding you.
It's getting harder to hide evey day.
Mar 19th, 2024, 12:07 am